TRIBAL FUSION BELLY DANCE is an exciting new belly dance class at Open Minds Fusion Studio for all ages, sizes, and abilities. These challenging and fun classes are built on a platform of inclusivity. Instructor Shannon Townsend encourages every body to join in and celebrate the worth and beauty in ALL bodies, big or small, all sexes, and at any age. If you are looking for a place to enjoy fun fitness in a body-positive environment that will challenge you at your unique level, this is the perfect Belly Dance class for you! (SEE MORE BELOW)
Classes are built on a foundation of building yourself up in levels. Students learn isolations as they go with movements rooted in Tribal Fusion, Greek, American-Egyptian and world-fusion (with just a smattering of other fun things). Movement is based in musculature instead of loose structural style, allowing students to build a strong core while enhancing and improving balance, posture, and coordination. Students will also get an opportunity to learn musicality, finger cymbals (zills), and occasionally props such as veils and fans. Each 5 week session brings a new theme, so you'll never be bored! Instructor Shannon Townsend is in her 13th year of Belly Dance in various styles, and she is always bringing fun new things that she learns to the table. Click here to register! This exciting new class will be held weekly kicking off on Sunday, April 8th at 10:00 AM with Shannon Townsend, and recurring each Sunday.
Open Minds Fusion Studio is located at 515 W Lake St. in the Lyn-Lake neighborhood in Minneapolis. Our parking lot can be easily accessed off Lake & Garfield. We share a building with Cricket Wireless, a good landmark to help spot us! Our building entrance FACES Garfield, and entrance is directly from the lot. If the lot happens to be full during peak hours, overflow street parking is also available along Garfield.
Answers to teacher Shannon's Frequently Asked Questions...
- No experience is necessary! This class welcomes new students as well as seasoned bellydancers.
- Please bring a water bottle for yourself and a towel in case you get sweaty - Open Minds has a water cooler :)
- No jingly hip scarves please! They are distracting to students. Fringe hip wraps are acceptable, and the instructor will have some to borrow.
- NO ONE IS REQUIRED TO SHOW THEIR BELLY! :)
- If the session requires props, the instructor will provide practice props to use in the studio. However if you have your own, you are welcome to use it.
- Acceptable clothing includes yoga pants or dance wear of some kind and a form-fitting t-shirt or tank top. Please, no baggy clothing and no jeans.
- Most students are barefoot in our style so plan accordingly. Socks are acceptable but you may find them too slippery.